Home remodeling or home improvement projects need to be handled by professionals as there are innumerable things that need to be taken care of. Whether you are looking for complete building refurbishment or partial renovation of a home, you need to get in touch with a home improvement contractor for the same.
Mentioned below are 11 effective tips for selecting the right contractor:
- Understanding the credentials of the contractor is very important. Check his certifications and qualifications and understand whether he will be able to handle the job well or not. Along with certifications from some recognized organization, the contractor should be licensed, insured and bonded at the same time.
- The contractor should have good communication skills so that talking to him become simple and easy. The contractor should understand your requirements and expectations and you should be able to understand what he says for the project. Try keeping regular contact via phone, chat or email – which is convenient for both the parties.
- Be specific and upfront with the budget in which you are planning to work. The contractor should have clear idea regarding the budget and should work accordingly. If required, the work can be done in phases. Refrain from hiring a contractor who does not understand the importance of following a budget.
- Ask the contractor for his suggestions regarding the home improvement project including a list of materials that will be needed for the same. People make a mistake by hiring contractors with the lowest budgets but they turn to be great failures on the long run. Look for moderate contractors who understand the work well and charge reasonably too.
- The contractor you hire should know about all the rules and regulations that need to be followed for the home improvement project. There might be need of some applications and permit obtaining works and the contractor should be able to handle all these. You should have knowledge regarding the same so that you can cross-question him and see if all is running fine.
- The contract for the home improvement project should be in writing and it should contain minute details like project description, payment arrangements, time frame of the work, total cost that might be incurred, contractor’s license number, phone numbers of people working on the project etc. If timeframe is not mentioned, refrain from signing the contract as this means that the contractor has other projects running and this one might be neglected.
- Before starting the demolition work, the contractor must ensure that all the supplies and new equipments are in place. Without the arrangements already made and done, the contractor will not be able to work freely.
- Home renovation is not as easy as it seems. A good and reliable contractor should assure that the project will be done in the best manner and be there to manage things. He should be able to help the home owner in being prepared for the process of home improvement and renovation.
- Make sure that you check references of the contractor from some trusted and reliable sources. If most of the references and reviews are positive, you can definitely go with the contractor; otherwise look for better options. There are aplenty available online.
- Insurance coverage for renovation projects is must. Verify the insurance coverage and understand what is covered in the homeowners insurance and what coverage is provided by contractor’s business insurance. Having a copy of the company’s insurance policy is mandatory.
- Be careful of the payments that are being made. Collect bills and receipts for the products that are being bought for the project. Also while making payments to the contractor have a receipt signed so that there is no confusion later.
Keep these contractor hiring tips in mind and make your home renovation project grand success!