Whether you are working on a wall or on some mechanical equipment part, it is important that the surface of the material has a smooth finish. Rugged and scratchy surfaces might cause injury to the hands or other parts that come in contact with the surface.
Mentioned below are some excellent tips shared by ARS Ltd., which help in improving surface finish in a great manner:
1. Minimize the feed – Minimizing the inch per revolution (IPR) will help in reducing flank wear and also enhances insert life. While roughing, it is recommended to use tools, which are capable of generating high feed. But while finishing, the feed should be reduced for improving surface finish.
2. Increase the speed – Increasing surface feet per minute will help in reducing build up edge. Tool life is prolonged with this step and chances of damage to the tool parts are also reduced.
3. Use of chip breaker is good – Using chip breakers help in reducing cutting pressures. The chips that are produced as a result can be evacuated conveniently. There are materials in which stringy and long chips produced. With a chip breaker, it is possible to produce smaller chips so that they get out of the cutting zone quickly.
4. The top rake angle should be increased – Rake angle is considered as a variable in the insert’s design. And this angle can be used for achieving the best surface finish. Having a lead angle will make the insert into the material easy and smooth and hence a smooth finishing can be obtained on the surface.
5. Using a wiper helps – Using an insert with a wiper is a recommendation given by experts when surface finishing needs to be smooth and good. Along with having a smooth surface, the insert with the wiper also helps in increasing feed rates.
6. A large nose radius helps – Surface finishing is directly related to the size of the nose radius of the insert. Smaller nose radiuses put lesser pressure on the tool, but there are also limitations on the feed rate, which can be used. With a larger nose radius heavier cut can be made, which is important when hard-to-cut materials are cut.
7. Using different tools to rough and finish – It is recommended to use different tools for roughing and finishing. Generally the roughing is done by slightly used insert; while finishing is done with a new insert altogether. Talking of the insert material, cermet insert is the best option in this regard.
8. Using the correct technique for getting perfect finishing – For fine and smooth surface finishes, it is important to apply the right techniques. It is recommended to select a cutter, which is smaller than the main radius. The cutter can be programmed for smooth finishing from line to line.
9. Checking the workholding and toolholding – Improper fixturing and toolholding will lead to chatter. Also a machine tool which is not rigid will cause various problems. Stable and rigid workholding is the main key for smooth surface finishing.
10. Using the coolant as per need – Usually there is lot of confusion regarding the fact whether coolant can be used or not for improving surface finish. The use of coolant will depend upon the kind of operation, which is being performed and also on the material for which surface finishing is being done.